Please find my latest website Brian Whitman at variogr.am. This website will not be updated any further.
Recent Papers and Talks
- Whitman, Brian. Learning the meaning of music. Dissertation defense, MIT, April 14 2004. [ 7MB talk PDF ]
- Dobson, Kelly, Brian Whitman and Daniel P.W. Ellis.
"Learning Auditory Models of Machine Voices."
- Whitman, Brian, Daniel P.W. Ellis. "Automatic
Record Reviews." In Proceedings of ISMIR 2004 - 5th International Conference on Music Information
Retrieval. October 10-14, 2004, Barcelona, Spain. [ paper PDF | talk PDF ]
Daniel Ellis, Brian Whitman.
"A Large Scale Evaluation of Acoustic and Subjective Music Similarity Measures."
Computer Music Journal,
Summer 2004, 28(2), pp 63-76. [ web ]
- Whitman, Brian. Location One Gallery, NYC, April 28 2004: "Music to Computers." [ talk PDF ]
- Whitman, Brian. ADVENT Seminar @ Columbia University, March 5 2004: "Learning the Meaning of Music." [ talk PDF ]
- Whitman, Brian. Dorkbot-NYC, March 3 2004: "Overfitting." [ talk PDF ]
- Berenzweig, Adam,
Logan, Brian Whitman.
"A Large Scale Evaluation of Acoustic and Subjective Music Similarity
Measures." In Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium on Music Information Retrieval. 26-30 October 2003, Baltimore, MD.
[ paper PDF ]
- Whitman, Brian. "Semantic Rank Reduction of Music Audio." In Proceedings of the 2003 Workshop on Applications of
Signal Processing to Audio and Acoustics (WASPAA). 19-22 October 2003, New Paltz, NY. pp135-138 [ paper PDF
| talk PDF ]
- Recht, Ben and Brian Whitman.
"Musically Expressive Sound Textures from Generalized Audio." In Proceedings of the 2003 Digital Audio Effects (DAFX03)
Conference. 8-11 September 2003, Queen Mary, University of London, U.K. [ paper PDF ]
- Whitman, Brian. Tutorial: "Cultural and Acoustic Approaches to Music Retrieval and Understanding." 7 September 2003,
Digital Audio Effects Conference, Queen Mary, Univeristy of London, U.K. (Contact for slide notes.)
- Whitman, Brian, Deb Roy, and Barry Vercoe.
"Learning Word Meanings
and Descriptive Parameter Spaces from Music."
in Proceedings of the HLT-NAACL03 workshop on Learning Word Meaning
from Non-Linguistic Data. 26-31 May 2003, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. [ paper PDF |
talk PDF ]
- Whitman, Brian and Ryan Rifkin. "Musical Query-by-Description as a
Multiclass Learning Problem." In Proceedings of the IEEE Multimedia Signal Processing Conference. 8-11 December
2002, St. Thomas, USA. [ paper PDF | talk
- Ellis, Daniel, Brian Whitman, Adam Berenzweig and Steve Lawrence. "The Quest For Ground Truth in
Musical Artist Similarity." In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Music Information Retrieval.
13-17 October 2002, Paris, France. [ paper PDF | talk PDF ]
- Kim, Youngmoo and Brian Whitman. "Singer Identification in
Popular Music Recordings Using Voice Coding
Features." In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Music Information Retrieval. 13-17 October 2002, Paris,
France. [ paper
- Whitman, Brian and Paris Smaragdis. "Combining Musical and
Cultural Features for Intelligent Style Detection." In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Music
Information Retrieval. 13-17 October 2002, Paris, France. [ paper PDF | talk PDF ]
- Whitman, Brian and Steve Lawrence (2002). "Inferring Descriptions
and Similarity for Music from Community Metadata." In "Voices of Nature," Proceedings of the 2002 International Computer Music Conference. pp 591-598.
16-21 September 2002, Göteborg, Sweden. [ paper PDF | talk PDF ]
- Whitman, Brian, Gary Flake, and Steve Lawrence (2001, September
10-12). Artist Detection in Music with
Minnowmatch. In Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE Workshop on Neural Networks for Signal Processing, pp. 559-568. Falmouth,
Massachusetts. [ paper link | talk PDF ]
Music Interface / Synthesis Research
- I have been working on the design of a handheld music
platform for performance and algorithmic composition. So far, I've got a few
Palm Pilot applications
to show for it. Hedgehog
ties the room together, especially in conjunction with the DSP-based battery
powered Custom Synth being
developed by Noah Vawter. We've created dsperado to combine it all, go there for
more information, although recently this work is folded into the DSP Music Syndicate.
- Pushpin: MIDI for your
Gameboy, is currently entering a very limited release stage. We will have
more details soon. Please be patient!
Automaton & Chef Ruiz - Weekend @ Interrupt Orchard
/ Reisergrant / New York Frogs In Holes /
Catgut Kelly Hears the Tone / Heaven on a Hamstring / The Big Trouble.
9/99 - 12/01 in NYC, Cambridge.
- I performed and recorded as "Blitter" for RKK records in Cambridge, MA, and have
a new LP titled The Automaton and Chef Ruiz might be coming out in a month or
two. The full-length Sofia Safari was supposed to be out next. I recently appeared
on compilations put out by Klangkrieg in Germany (American
Breakbeat, also with Kid606, Hrvatski, Matmos, etc) and Lo Recordings
Friction, also with Stereolab, Squarepusher, etc.) And of course the furious
is out in stores now. My "Skoropogovorki" appears on Apartment B's New York City
Electronic Musicians compilation and new style "Finding Out About Town" on Adhesive Records' "Left Bank."
For a full discography see the Reckankomplex.
- I grew up in New Jersey, and went to college in Massachusetts. (who didn't?)
- Last last winter I had the pleasure of being invited to play live on the air
at the greatest radio station in the world, Jersey City's very own WFMU. Listen over the net, it's worth it. 91.1FM
in the NYC area.
- The best website ever.
MIT Media Lab E15-491
20 Ames Street
Cambridge, MA 02139